Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Fattie of the Firing

It's fun to look through the pots after unloading and try to choose a favorite - what I call the "fattie." If I'm lucky, choosing the fattie will be a difficult task! This as such a firing. While photographing pots yesterday I had a chance to mull it over.
This Jaunty Jar is s strong contender! It almost appears to be inhaling.
Click to see more

I love the luscious quality of the glaze, edged with the silver/charcoal of trapped carbon.
Click to see more

This quiet little pot still managed to grab my attention.
Click to see more

I have a weakness for butterdishes - making them and using them - and this one took the soda glass so perfectly.
Click to see more

There were tons of great mugs in this load! 

Can a set collectively be The Fattie?
See more at the link

Blue, and soda, and excessive slip trailing, and roses! This vases combines many of my favorite clay qualities.
See more at the link

Detail
The Fattie is ultimately a subjective choice, and factors play in that don't come through in photos, like a silky surface or perfect weight: substantial but not clunky. In the end I settled on the butterdish: that is my Fattie of the Firing. All the factors came together, plus one: the lid fits so perfectly: it neither shifts not sticks, and it fits almost the same in either direction! (They almost always fit better one way than the other.)
All of these are currently available in my online store, but I will need inventory for my December shows, so they will probably only there until the beginning of December.

Do you choose a favorite? Do you keep it or sell it? (I always sell my favorites! Sometimes I charge a little more for them, though.)

No comments: